Our House Is Round:
A Kid’s Book
About Why Protecting
Our Earth Matters
Visit the Website:
Grammy-nominated harpist Kondonassis writes children's book about the environment. READ MORE
Living in Harmony READ MORE
YK reading Our House Is Round at the Release Party and Book Signing at Border’s Books and Music in Beachwood, Ohio
YK at a Book Signing for Our House Is Round at The Learned Owl Bookshop in Hudson, Ohio
Over the past few years, I have become increasingly concerned about our deepening environmental challenges. While I am not a scientist, it has been easy to learn and understand much of what has happened and what continues to happen to our planet. These are not problems we can sit back and contemplate while we wait for everyone to agree on causes and terminology. We must act now to create change in the ways we use and abuse the earth. Whether we are able to create policy, find solutions, inspire others, or just recycle in our own homes, we must all do whatever we can to participate in saving the earth from the dire consequences of doing nothing.
When I took the photo of my daughter at the top of this page, I felt so exhilarated by her joy of taking in the vastness of the ocean. I think of that moment often - and I feel motivated to help make sure that her children can know that same joy one day. Sadly, only a short time after that photo was taken, the Gulf oil spill coughed up tar balls on the very same beach where she had stood.
The signs are so clear. We must get our act together before it’s too late.
Help be part of the solution.
Twelve Things We Can All Do to Protect The Earth
1) Learn about the environmental challenges we face.
3) Make sure your tires have enough air in them.
4) Replace your standard light bulbs with energy-saving bulbs.
5) Avoid buying products in lots of packaging.
6) Take a slightly shorter shower - heating water uses a lot of energy!
7) Adjust your thermostat – down 2 degrees in the winter and up 2 degrees in the summer.
8) Turn off all your lights and equipment when not in use.
9) Take your own reusable bags to the grocery store.
10) Switch to reusable water and drink bottles.
11) Plant a tree (or several!).
12) Talk to your family and friends and encourage them to be part of the solution.
A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this recording benefits the work of the Environmental Defense Fund
Finding the ways that work.
A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this recording benefits the work of The Rainforest Alliance.